Monday, January 25, 2010

MSPI diet survival (desserts)

MSPI (milk and soy protein intolerance) is something that is somewhat common in babies and that is typically outgrown. Unfortunately these proteins pass from the mom to the baby when nursing, so the options are to stop breast feeding and use a super expensive formula or to go on an elimination diet.
I have been on a milk and soy free diet for 6 months now, and after a lot of label reading, here are some suggested products and recipes that keep me sane when I'm missing my favorite foods.

I make my own bread because it's good and cheap and I'm afraid of soy lecithin.
2.5 teaspoons of active dry yeast
1 cup hot water
Dissolve yeast in water and let sit for 5-10 minutes
4 tablespoons of sugar
3 cups of flour (I use 1 cup whole wheat flour and 2 cups of bread flour)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup canola oil
I put it in the bread maker on the regular cycle with light crust. My husband says that when the diet is over he does not want to go back to store bread.

Things to buy at the store:
Duncan Hines makes cake mixes, icing, and brownies with no milk or soy. Yes, brownies. Not all varieties, but some. Anything that says "milk chocolate" contains milk.
My favorite thing to do with the cake mix is to make cookies. The Lemon supreme cake mix makes amazing cookies. The recipe is simple:
1 box cake mix
1/3 cup canola oil
2 eggs
Bake at 350 for 8 minutes on a greased cookie sheet or parchment paper

For milk substitution I like the coconut milk beverage made by sodeliciousdairyfree. Things like corn bread and pancakes (Bisquick is OK but Hungry Jack is not) turn out much more normal in texture than with almond breeze or rice milk.

Other products that are surprisingly milk and soy free:
Pillsbury refrigerated cookie dough: sugar cookie and peanut butter cookie
Kroger brand chocolate graham crackers
Kroger brand ginger bread cookie dough
Peter pan peanut butter does not even have soybean oil in it
Triscuits
Veggie Ritz crackers
most pretzels (I like Kroger brand honey wheat twists)
most potato chips (Lays are OK)
Kroger brand tortilla chips

for baby:
Gerber sweet potato puffs (but not the other flavors)
Little comforts banana puffs (but not the other flavors)

Things that caught me off guard:
tuna in spring water contains soy in most brands
tortilla chips are tricky - beware of lime flavored. Tostitos are OK in the regular version but have milk and soy in the hint of lime and baked varieties. Kirkland brand is processed in equipment that also processes milk and soy.
Earth's best cookies for infants have a "processed on" warning
regular graham crackers in every brand my store carries have either milk or soy (but not in the other flavors)

I'll add more later, but Megan is now snoring on my shoulder...

No comments:

Post a Comment